Monday, July 5, 2010

First Trip to the Zoo



On Friday I met up with my mother-in-law, my two sister-in-laws, my cousin-in-law (is that even a word?)  and all their boys for Gianna's first trip to the zoo.
Gianna and her cousins.
I have no recollection of ever going to our city zoo so I was super excited to see it myself and to see Gianna's reaction to all the animals.  We decided the best plan of action to tackle the large park was to take the train from the front of the zoo all the way to the back.   We would work our way up the zoo instead of down it and then have to turn around and go back up.  It was hot out. Not unbearably hot, but pretty darn close.  I was not too sure how Gianna would handle sitting in her stroller all day in that heat.  Going on that train was the best idea ever. We were able to see all the animals in record time, fight the crowds, and leave the park before we melted.



Gianna and Grammy on her first train ride.

The first stop was the safari animals.  My favorite to look at.  I would point at all the different animals to Gianna but she could have cared less.  She was too busy people watching.  I think it could have been that many of them were too far away for her to see or it could be that she is a Nosey Norah.  I am thinking its the latter of the two.  


I was all "Gianna,  look!!! It's Sophie".  She did not buy it.

Hungry hippo?  More like lazy Hippo.  He did not even move an inch.

Gianna's favorite exhibit was probably the polar bears.  This exhibit is awesome.  You walk round this large hill like area with pockets of water filled with seals and otters.  You then go into the hill to see this:

I pulled Gianna up to the glass windows and she just contently watched the seals and polar bears swim around.

You then walk through an underwater see through tunnel to get out of the exhibit meanwhile the polar bears and seals are swimming above and next to you. Totally awesome and Gianna loved it.

Gianna in the underwater tunnel.
Do you see the bear poking his head out to say hello?
When we took a potty break we decided to let the little ones roam around for a bit in the shade.  Gianna played in the dirt, tried to eat the dirt, and got adorably dirty.

Gianna and her cousin James.


James, Landon, Gianna and Devin.


Grammy and her grandchildren.

Overall it was a great experience.  Gianna was a amazing and was the perfect little angel, even with the heat.  You know you had a good time when you leave the zoo like this.



And this.
There is something about pudgy baby toes with a dash of dirt that turns my heart into goo.






1 comment:

  1. We just missed you at the zoo, we were there on Weds! Good to know she liked the polar bear exhibit. We skipped it because the line was too long and it was lunch time. Next time!

    Hope you guys had a great 4th!

    ReplyDelete